The Chamber has undergone a number of name changes in its history which coincide with mining and political developments in South Africa.
The Chamber of Mines
The Chamber of Mines’ predecessor was loosely formed on 7 December 1887, in a central hotel in Johannesburg one year after an Australian gold-digger, George Harrison, first discovered gold on Langlaagte farm.
1889 – 1896
Witwatersrand Chamber of Mines
On 5 October 1889, the Chamber of Mines was officially constituted by three founding members: Corner House, Consolidated Gold Fields and the Robinson Group to disseminate authoritative statistical information about the Transvaal Gold Fields Limited and to validate prospectuses.
Other objectives cited at the time included the promotion and protection of mining interests; the promotion of public discussion on mining industry issues; the promotion of favourable legislative measures; and the exchange of information with other public and private mining bodies within and outside of South Africa.
The Chamber represented mines such as Aurora, Balmoral, City and Suburban, Crown Reef, Driefontein, Eclipse, Geldenhuis Estate, George Goch, Langlaagte, Luipaard's Vlei, Nigel, Odessa, Randfontein, Riet Vlei, Robinson, Stanhope Geldenhuis, Transvaal Montana, White Reef and Witwatersrand.
1897 – 1901
Chamber of Mines of the South African Republic
1902 – 1952
Transvaal Chamber of Mines
1953 – 1967
Transvaal and Orange Free State Chamber of Mines
1968 – today
Chamber of Mines of South Africa
A century of service and collaboration